As adults, we tend to meet people from all walks of life. Whether we network professionally, socially, online, personally, or randomly start up a conversation with someone sitting next to us; we have all encountered the guy/gal who chooses to exist in his/her own fabrications of reality. This sort of individual chooses to construct alternate versions of the truth and ultimately generates the downfall of many relationships. Those with a pathological tendency are typically unhappy and choose to surround themselves with individuals who remain ignorant and blind by choice.
What would possess any individual to do something purposely to injure someone else’s emotions?
What does a person say about him/herself when almost everything that he/she says is a concoction? What manner of personal representation is that?
When an individual constantly misleads others, there is no real communication, no respect, and most definitely no opportunity to lay a foundation for anything potentially long-term. The results all convey disrespect and misdirection with the end goal being complete confusion. Anything that might happen, unless witnessed by others, will be exaggerated and sensationalized as the truth is grossly misrepresented. The individual with the pathological complex will always represent him/herself as the victim or the hero but never as the person in the wrong.
Constantly being lied to by an individual one thought could be trusted is deeply wounding. It cuts far deeper when the individual has promised to discontinue such behavior yet blatantly continues to embellish and deliberately deceive. However, when these lies are actively interwoven into others’ lives and the betrayal breeds and festers to a far greater perfidy, how does one disentangle the conundrum? The optional courses of action: attempt to rectify or walk away. The options may appear severe or unforgiving but they exude drama-free simplicity. If the deceit is introductory and can be refreshed, logic dictates that action to amend the fallacies is necessary and worthwhile. However, when the lies have been spewing for an elongated period of time and weak-willed individuals have been absorbed into the indulgent fantasies, seek an unsullied and fundamentally beneficial network. Individual sanity is much healthier than ignorantly blissful conformity.
The following characteristics are actions conducted by clinically diagnosed “Pathological Liars” and I found it all to be beyond ruminative. My intention is to facilitate awareness towards a major social issue so that others my benefit and avoid a potentially indignant catastrophe.
Be cautious and steer clear of individuals exhibiting the following signs:
- Exaggerates things that are ridiculous.
- One-upping. Whatever you do, this person can do it better. Nobody can/will ever top them in their own mind. They have a concerted need to be better than everyone else. This also applies to being correct. If one attempts to confront an individual like this, no matter how loving or well intentioned, it will not be effective. It threatens their personal fantasy and causes an argument. At this point, the individual in question will proceed to access an arsenal of rumors and introduce sharp blades of false allegations rather than admit that there is anything wrong with them. This results in the ostracism of the only individual who pointed out the inconsistencies.
- They “construct” a reality around themselves. They don’t value the truth, especially if they don’t view it as harming anyone. If they are confronted and backed into a corner, they will act defensively and immediately retaliate with ugly actions. Eventually, they begin to defend actions; “Well, what’s the difference? You’re making a big deal out of nothing!”
- Due to the fact that these people do not value honesty, they will not value loyalty. Be mindful of what you share with them. They will not only share with others, but they will embellish and portray you as unflattering in various respects. Their loyalty is fleeting; their insecurity finds solace in confiding their “truths” to whoever is presently in their favor.
- They may be somewhat of a hypochondriac. This is especially useful when caught in a lie; for example, they may claim they have been sick; there is some mysterious “illness” that has them all stressed out. It’s another excuse or tool for their behavior.
- Obviously, they will contradict what they say. This will become very clear over time.
It is truly unfortunate that certain events must unfold in order to draw these individuals out and sadly, in the process, several are hurt… friendships are torn apart… and relationships in general suffer drastically. Therefor, in retrospect, remember… Karma is a Bitch and always comes back with a bite. If you exude positivity, then positivity comes back; if you exude negativity, then negativity comes back.